Thursday 17 June 2010

Everything Beyond These Walls Has Been Razed

Here's a visual treat for you: a music video by "Reigns" a mysterious two-piece who create haunting background music with dark lyrical themes. Check out the video, and there's some more words below it.


Did you like it?

Reigns' album "The House On The Causeway" (featuring this track) became an instant favourite of mine late last year. Every track is an exceptional piece of music that stirs and provokes interesting reactions from the first listen, but further plays unlock the bizarre content within the lyrics. I have vivid images in my mind for each and every song, something I don't always find with music. I tend to find that specific music reminds me of a time or a place where I was when I first heard it, or where it was prominent in my life... but this is something very different. I don't have that kind of relationship with this album, instead I feel like I know places and people within the music itself. Apologies if that's a bit "deep" for you, but give it a go and see if you feel the same. The album was released on the excellent Monotreme records (home to many a great musician and band), check them out here:



The visuals in this particular video (not the same as the ones in my mind, by the way) are created by the incredibly talented Phlegm, one of my favourite artists. He creates comics with little point, illustrations for a lot of my favourite bands (particularly The Mirimar Disaster, who sadly called it a day in early 2009), various graffiti projects, and is currently working on a large book of stuff. I don't really know what's going to be in this book, but I've put my name down to get a hold of one, no matter the cost. An all-round hero of illustration as far as I'm concerned, and I'm glad his art has been used for a video by yet another band I enjoy so much. Check out his work here:



Finally, all the visuals and music were combined by Medlo, also known as The Media Lounge. Once again, I heavily admire the work carried out by this lot... A selection of incredible music videos and live background visuals for the likes of 65daysofstatic, The Low Lows, Aaron Stout (featuring more Phlegm design), Digitonal and King Creosote, amongst many others. They've also made many short films and behind-the-scenes type extras for various projects including 28 Weeks Later and Four Lions. As if that wasn't enough, they've also done some crazy full length feature film remix projects, including 'Nam 2, a mash-up of various Vietnam war films, and a remix and re-score (by Digitonal) of The Shining! Busy chaps, huh? I've managed to pick up 3 DVDs by them at 65daysofstatic gigs, and all them get regular watches.

No comments:

Post a Comment