Thursday 15 July 2010

Wall Painting

Painting on walls.

Normally, I stick to drawings and paintings on a small scale, no bigger than A4, and normally much smaller. However, I was asked to "help out" with a wall-sized version of the famous M.C. Escher picture "Relativity" absolutely ages ago. I'm pretty sure it was St. Patrick's day 2009 actually. It's on a big wall on the stairs of a bar in Sunderland called The Hive. All the walls are painted / being painted by various people in various styles.

Over a year later, and it's not finished. I can give you a good selection of excuses:

1. I'm doing it on my own now, and have been almost for the entire duration.
2. I can only paint on Sunday nights for safety reasons, and when both me and the staff are prepared to stay awake... so not very often.
3. I normally do tiny things, so this is a big step up!
4. It's a picture by Escher. Not exactly the simplest of things...
5. I can't really do realistic looking people. Someone else is going to have to fill them in, probably before I can finish off all the handrails.

Anyway, despite the excuses, I'm prepared to post a picture of it so far... although when I last saw it, it had a few additional stains and bits of graffiti on it. I suppose that's the risk of having it on the stairs which lead up to the blokes' toilets.

Click on the picture to see it bigger and therefore better. I can't really get a straight view of the picture as it's on some stairs. But you get the idea.


I told my dad I was doing a spot of wall painting when he last decorated the living room of my folks' house in Yorkshire. So he had a go himself. Not an Escher picture, but everyone's favourite big red guy, Satan:


You can definitely see where I get it from. Sadly, he then painted over this... but I'll always know that he's under there, somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment